Sunday, June 22, 2014

Step In The Arena

Top: Y.A.S / Jeans: type 3301 by G-Star RAW / Shoes: ZARA Trafaluc

Last saturday, two of my friends and I attended the annual international graffiti festival "Step In The Arena". This year, it was part of a new urban-culture festival called "e-moves". Since e-moves came to our school and gave some dance demonstrations during lunchtime, we decided we wanted to see what it is all about. Another friend of mine (who previously helped me with the photoschoot that was held at the same location as the SITA festival) did a project about it, and said it was definetly worth visiting.

Street art is truly everywhere these days. Not only graffiti, but also the use of posters and stickers, live performers and decoration of trees etc. I have never really taken a close look to how graffiti artists work. Most of the time, it's illegal, so the artists have to perform at night. Because SITA is fully legal, we could see the artists at work. There are so many different styles: from comic, to galaxy, to realistic, to colorblocking and more. There is nothing better than watching artists creating the magic right in front of you. 











I have taken a fancy to graffiti lately. I pay attention to it, and I see how it's everywhere. Even though I can see it a lot; I wish there was more. More use of delightful colors and bendy shapes to brighten up the streets and alleys. These pictures really don't do any justice to the actual paintworks. I had to edit them because of the crappy light and cloudy day, but they are truly wonderful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment