Yes, I am most definetly guilty as charged, with my twitter, facebook and whatevermore I ever signed up for and put my profile pic on. The dangers? Losing sight of the real people and becoming jealous. Social Media in a nutshell, perhaps, but sometimes I feel like I should compete with all of my friends going to fancy parties, having fabulous hair or an hourglass figure. In the end, I am far too lazy and cocky to do so, and jealousy is never a good thing so I tend to avoid it at all times, but I can't say that I don't want to present myself as good as possible.
How often doesn't our SNS not only affect our personal life, but also our life careerwise? Bosses looking up applicants to see if they really are what they say they are, and don't forget about the ever so growing privacy issue when it comes to our personal information.
If you google these topics you will probably find 10.000 pages with newspaper articles and twice as many blogrants, but luckily that's not what I'm here for.
We're just here to learn how you can take that selca of yourself/your friend/your cat/your hamburger as good as possible.
This video by make-up guru wonder woman Michelle Phan is a good start. In case you are too lazy to watch it (I won't blame you, I know the feel), let's summarize what she has taught us so far:
- Find the light. Backlit or towards main source?
- Angle. Hold the camera and extend your arm out. The futher away, the less the fish-bowl effect.
- Take horizontal test-shots. Landscape composition works better for some people.
- Find your good and bad angles and learn them.
- Stick out your neck while posing (so no scrunching; beware of the double chin).
- For a cute pic: the baby face angle (that's what she calls it). Hold the camera up high and bring it closer to your face.
Half of it? You could have probably come up with it on your own, but I guess this is just for those among us that are really not photogenic, even though I'm not sure there is such a thing as not being photogenic. Except when every picture that you take has you with a derp-face.
So, now that we've got the basics going, how can you spice up your photo? Learn how to use photoshop obviously. I personally don't know how to use it, because I don't have anybody that can teach me, nor do I feel like searching through hundreds of Youtube tutorials until I find one that is actually understandable. I will do it some day, go to the library and rent some books about it, but for now, standard filters and online photo editors work just fine for me.
So, now that we've got the basics going, how can you spice up your photo? Learn how to use photoshop obviously. I personally don't know how to use it, because I don't have anybody that can teach me, nor do I feel like searching through hundreds of Youtube tutorials until I find one that is actually understandable. I will do it some day, go to the library and rent some books about it, but for now, standard filters and online photo editors work just fine for me.
For your own good, do not ever underestimate or look down on a good filter. It can spice up your shot and make it a lot more interesting than just the natural light. We can't all be the next Avedon and know everything about photography, so this is a brilliant way to get the attention you want. It is the same as looking through glasses with colored lenses, like you did through a candy wrapper in kindergarten. Makes the world a thousand times more interesting, no?
I tend to use the beFunky online photo editor a lot. It has simple functions such as crop and increase/decrease contrast, but also add filters, text and whatnot.
But, as we're talking about selfies, that are probably a bit more on-the-go and are most likely taken with your smartphone, I'll share my favorite apps that will make you look just a little more fab.
- Photowonder
This is definetly my favorite app when it comes to selfies. It is an app that lets you easily correct your skin, remove your dark circles, enlarge your eyes and add some cheek color. A little bit fake? Perhaps, but I don't feel like applying layers of foundation just to make my skin look more even in a picture. I nearly always use this app.
Other than the beautyfication it also has some filters, stickers and frames.And a function to enlarge your boobs. - Aviary
Just a basic application that allows you to use several free filters (more than Instagram) and buy packs of filters (ranging from €1 - €2) as you please. There are some free frame packs and there are options such as adjust lightning, contrast, ... and .... Great app to get the basic stuff done. Great for people who aren't fans of anything complicated.
- Puddingcamera
Not really something I use all day er' day, but a funny thing when I feel like becoming a little bit more artistic. You can select different 'cameras' and 'photo rolls' that you can combine as you wish. Includes a fish-eye lens and some other cool camera's. I would try it out if you're in an artsy mood.
- PriCam (previously SBY Camera)
Here's where it gets fun. Had enough of all the funky filters? I thought so. With a wink to the 'why so serious' culture, I have several apps on my telephone that allow me to change my regular picture into a purikura picture. This phenomena from (of course, how could it be from anywhere else) Japan allows you to sticker-and-stamp away, add funky frames, write witty text and insert costume elements. There are plenty of western apps that do this, but due to the high amount of free stuff and my personal taste, I have found SBY camera to be the best for me. I like the stickers and effects best in this app. When you are bored in public transport or waiting to enter the venue at a concert, this app is beyond perfect.
Are there a lot more good apps out there. I think so, but I don't want my memory card to get all too full, because then my phones stops functioning properly. Not to mention that it's always good for something new. Give me something good and I'll throw out the old (just kidding).
In the end, when it comes to selfies/selcas or any other type of photograph, for that matter, it all comes down to the personal creativity you put into it. The clothes and make-up you wear, the concept you create, the setting you choose, and all of that is in the palm of your hand. Isn't it wonderful?


No comments:
Post a Comment